Before I start covering the fuselage in litho, I want to fit all the interior parts. Because this will take a lot of manhandling the model, I want to do this so I won't damage the litho covered fuselage. I will make modules ready to fit when the fuse is finished. I will make a floor for the passengers cabin, wall linings with integrated luggage bins, seats and a galley. The seats will be fixed on the floor and become 1 module, as is the galley and each of the wall linings. Everything will have to fit together flawlessly and that is where the majority of the time is wasted.
I started with the cabin floor. I calculated and measured the height of the floor and put strips of wood on the inside of the fuselage with epoxy glue. The floor was made using a cardboard template first. when that was a perfect fit I transfered the lines onto a piece of 4 mm plywood. That was reinforced with some strips of wood on the underside to prevent sagging. After that I made the galley floor, which sits at an angle compared to the cabin floor.
The original dc-3's had plush, Art Deco style seats. It was the time that flying was a luxury, remember. Well I don't but apparently that was the case. So I tried to find drawings or pictures of these seats and I finally found something. These don't have the metal frames modern planes have but really look like, well chairs actually. I made a model out of balsa wood. After some modification I have something I like. I don't particularly like to make some 26 seats but hey, you want to build a plane or you don't. I'll do the chairs when I need them. I have the templates and can replicate them easily.
Wall lining.
To find out how to make the wall linings and fix them to the floor and inside, I made a test-piece. On the floor I glued a strip of aluminum rod where the wall lining was supposed to come and 2 mm next to that (towards the wall) I glued strips of wood. For the wall lining I used polystyrene board of 2-mm thickness. This fits exactly between the rod and strips and sits snugly on the floor. The aluminum rod will look like a decorative strip later.
To give the wall some "body" I glued 5-mm thick blocks of wood around the corner of the windows as a kind of spacer on which the lining will be fastened. This looks like the original aircraft plus this way I get a nice even surface. The inside of the fuselage is littered with blobs of resin and uneven layers of glass-cloth. Of course there will be space between the fuse and the lining which will have to be filled up around the windows.
The test piece of lining was pressed against the fuse and I drew the window-opening onto it from the outside. That was cut out. I made a window sill by putting 8 mm strips of litho (not heated) inside the window and so created a kind of window sill. The window opening in the lining fit exactly around the sill and it looks just like the real thing.
I wanted to incorporate the luggage bins in the lining so I shallowly cut the lining so I could bend it to the desired angle. Some plates out of aircraft ply will hold the shape of the bins and provide the necessary support onto the fuselage and a place to glue. Along the length of the bins will be a stainless steel rod as a grab rail and one segment of the lining will be made out of litho and incorporate the fresh air vents. Some paint and it looks the part. I painted the test piece with a brush because of lack of an aerosol and airbrush but that will look better on the real piece.
The parts fit and I will finish everything later. The painting etc. can wait until I am ready with lithoing the fuselage.
The Galley.
The SAS plane has a galley that isn't original. Somewhere along the line this workspace with a couple of aluminum cabinets found it's way inside the plane. I wanted something more original.
Delta Airlines restored it's very first DC-3, called Flagship 41, to "as new" condition. Delta DC-3 ship 41. The outside is polished to a mirror finish and the inside looks as if it just rolled out the Douglas hangar. Normal mortals are not allowed inside and the crew and guests wear white gloves just so nothing gets dirty. The seats have plastic covers on them and I have not seen a picture without them. This goes a bit too far for my taste.
Anyway, this plane has a beautiful galley that I used as a example to make mine.
I started out by putting in the bulkhead between the pax and the galley and between the toilet and the galley. I took it from there. Everything is again made out of litho. The original was all aluminum as well. I made the thermos bottles out of alu tubes and the taps out of sowing pins with black heads.
The doors have piano hinges made out of soldering wire with notches in them to simulate the hinge.  
I stamped a hole in the bottom of the upper cabinets to put in a light later. The rear bulkhead, and toilet-door were painted high gloss off-white and weathered a little. The kick plates underneath the workspace and toilet door were dented and scratched. I put in a telephone and an electrical panel.
Finally I put in a carpet. I used a piece from a grey T-shirt and sprayed 3M spray-mount to glue the material in place. It looks just like the real thing.
The whole unit was glued together and I can shove it into the fuselage from the front. It fits snugly and I don't even need to glue it in.
Now it is time to finish the interior. First I made the seats. 7 doubles and 6 singles, not a job I fancy but it has to be done. First I cut the the rough parts out of balsa. Using a litho template I sanded the corners so they all had the same curves and glued the parts together. After a little sanding I sprayed them blue, added the arm and footrests and they were ready.
Next came the side-walls. I had already made the basics last year, now I had to finish them. They were sprayed, details added.
Please Email me at: